Olim have rights to bring one vehicle (car or motorcycle) from any country within 3 years of their aliyah. Cars of all sizes are taxed at the same rate, except for those valued over NIS 300,000. Taxes are about 80% (instead of 127-144%) of the value at origin less depreciation plus shipping and insurance. Depreciation is about 20% for the first year and 10% for each year following to a maximum of 80% after 10 years. Olim can bring cars of any age or description, as long as it has clear title (no leases), ESP/C (electronic stability protection), and a clean history of no accidents. You must get a letter (we do this for you) from a repair garage that can provide service and acquire parts, not necessarily quickly or for free. Olim must have a valid foreign license for at least 3 years, and they have one year to get an Israeli license.
A car does not count as one of the three tax-free shipments, and Olim have no special reduction on hybrid cars, since everyone pays only 45%. Tourists and students pay no taxes, but tourists must take the car (and themselves) out of the country every year for 3 month and students can keep the car, as long as they keep that status.
Visa, Age & Tax Guidelines
Tax rates are subject to change.
- Oleh no limit on year ~ 80% tax
- Toshav Hozer max 4 years old ~ 120% tax
- Regular citizen max 2 years old ~ 120% tax
The age limit on the following is per the list above.
Hybrid ~ 45% tax
Plug-in Hybrid ~ 25% tax
Electric ~ 10% tax
We expect taxes on Hybrid and Electric to increase each year until 2024, when the tax will reach 83%.
You will need the following documents:
Actual physical bill of sale from dealer/seller
Copies of the following:
- Proof of Payment
- Clear Title (no leans or leases)
- Photograph of the stickers on the inside of the car door
- Proof that an original ESP/ESC [Electronic Stability Program/Control] system is installed in the car
- CarFax report – clean, no accidents
- Tourists, Students, and Olim require foreign drivers license(s) going back at least 3 years.
- Israelis and Olim must present a copy of a valid Israeli driver’s license* and their Teudat Zehut.
- *Olim must commit to getting an Israeli driver’s license during their first year of aliyah and present a Teudat Oleh, if using Oleh tax benefits.
- Israeli Power of Attorney signed in the presence of our Israeli Customs Clearer
Note: Until further notice, you cannot ship with a title from New York, due to a dispute between Homeland Security & NY State.
Contact Us to get a car import quote.