Olim have rights to bring one vehicle (car or motorcycle) from any country within 3 years of their aliyah. Cars of all sizes are taxed at the same rate, except for those valued over NIS 300,000. Taxes are about 80% (instead of 127-144%) of the value at origin less depreciation plus shipping and insurance. Depreciation is about 20% for the first year and 10% for each year following to a maximum of 80% after 10 years. Olim can bring cars of any age or description, as long as it has clear title (no leases), ESP/C (electronic stability protection), and a clean history of no accidents. You must get a letter (we do this for you) from a repair garage that can provide service and acquire parts, not necessarily quickly or for free. Olim must have a valid foreign license for at least 3 years, and they have one year to get an Israeli license.
A car does not count as one of the three tax-free shipments, and Olim have no special reduction on hybrid cars, since everyone pays only 45%. Tourists and students pay no taxes, but tourists must take the car (and themselves) out of the country every year for 3 month and students can keep the car, as long as they keep that status.
Visa, Age & Tax Guidelines
Tax rates are subject to change.
- Oleh no limit on year ~ 80% tax
- Toshav Hozer max 4 years old ~ 114-129% tax
- Regular citizen max 2 years old ~ 114-129% tax
The age limit on the following is per the list above.
We expect taxes on Hybrid and Electric to increase each year until 2024, when the tax will reach 83%.
You will need the following documents:
Actual physical bill of sale from dealer/seller
Copies of the following:
- Proof of Payment
- Clear Title (no liens or leases)
- Photograph of the stickers on the inside of the car door
- Proof that an original ESP/ESC [Electronic Stability Program/Control] system is installed in the car
- CarFax report – clean, no accidents
- Tourists, Students, and Olim require foreign drivers license(s) going back at least 3 years.
- Israelis and Olim must present a copy of a valid Israeli driver’s license* and their Teudat Zehut.
- *Olim must commit to getting an Israeli driver’s license during their first year of aliyah and present a Teudat Oleh, if using Oleh tax benefits.
- Israeli Power of Attorney signed in the presence of our Israeli Customs Clearer
Motorcycles: must be less than 24 months old upon arrival in Israel
Contact Us to get a car import quote.