Marine insurance is always for replacement value in similar condition at destination. See below for a list of suggested multiples to get from value at origin to value in Israel.
Lists with values required before pickup, items
1. above $1500 per item/set. Very high value goods may have special conditions, deductibles, and premiums.
2. Not professionally packed. These can be insured only for loss and theft, not for more than $300/box, and only if a valued list of goods in each box is presented before pickup.
3. Unless you insure LumpSum (minimum $8/lb), create a comprehensive valued inventory, grouping items of similar value.
The 2 ways to get all-risk* shipping insurance.
A. The easy way is lump-sum, minimum $8 per lb.
Example: 1000 cubic feet x 7 lbs./cubic foot x $8.00/lb = $56,000 insured value
B. Detailed listing. A comprehensive list of of replacement values of all the goods in the shipment in a Valued Inventory Form. Please note: **Marine Insurance rates are subject to change and the rates quoted in your contract are the actual rates for the services quoted. Replacement value is the cost of replacing a similar item in similar condition at destination. Download, complete, save, and return the spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For both “A” and “B”, you must prepare lists of:
1. High value goods--individual items or sets insured for more than $1500. For special value items it is highly advisable to supply before packing (and necessary if there is a claim) at least one, and preferably more of the following: invoice of purchase, prior insurance policy, expert assessment, photos, replacement quote--internet is ok. Very high value items could be subject to special premiums and deductibles.
2. Goods which are not professionally packed. These are listed by the shipper as PBO and can be covered for loss and theft only, if you submit a valued inventory of the contents of each box before pickup. Coverage is for not more than $300 per box or packing list line entry. Be sure there are no breakables in them.
3. Goods which you would like to insure as sets.
Insurance related decisions, lists, and documents are due 2 weeks before pickup.
If by pickup time, you have not given us or told us that you would give us a valued inventory list, we will insure you for Lump Sum at an optimal deductible--$500 for more than $30,000, $150 for less. If you specifically decline all-risk before pickup, we will insure you for Total loss of the shipment, with no coverage for partial damage or loss, whether or not you have insured elsewhere.
Minimum premium for all/any marine insurance is $0.45/cubic foot. You can either use that for Total Loss or, to get better value , supply a valued list of goods, totaling that amount. It is worthwhile making the effort to create a valued inventory of the whole shipment, before pickup rather than insuring total loss. If you can't manage, then it is better to insure for the lump sum value at the highest possible deductible.
Example: 1000 cubic feet x $0.45/cubic foot= $450 minimum premium
$360 gives $30,000 of total loss coverage
$360 gives $14,400 of all risk coverage at $150 deductible, but you must submit a list of goods with values
11. Coverage: From packing to delivery, sold as a percentage of insured value (i.e. 2.0% = $20 per $1000 of insurance). Here is a Marine Policy.
12. Condition of goods: Take pictures; make sure packer records condition on packing list.
13. Previously packed goods: If goods were recently packed by professionals, present invoice of packing to Kef before pickup. Otherwise UNSEAL boxes; make sure packers inspect and repack as necessary. There are costs to unpack in order to repack.
14. Lists: There are surcharges if the list is not in Excel or finalized or paid for after pickup. You are insured only when the final list is received, approved, and paid for, and you are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of your lists.
15. Crating: The following must be crated to be insured: a) Goods which packers recommend crating, b) porous items (i.e. marble, glass, granite), unless packers are confident of alternative packing, c) pianos insured for more than $5,000, and d) instruments not in hard cases.
16. Extensions: You are covered for 30 days at the shipper’s warehouse at origin and 30 days at an approved warehouse at destination. To extend either, you must give notice and pay for the extension before the expiry date. The cost of extension is $2.70 per $1,000 per month, and neither the insurance company or Kef will extend without your timely request and payment.
17 a. Storage which is not in the port: If goods go to self-storage with key and access, your marine insurance ends, and it is worthwhile purchasing insurance from the warehouse. If goods remain in the port, go to commercial storage or self-storage with no key or access, marine insurance can be extended, and there is no need to buy insurance from the warehouse. If you have a key and/or access to your goods, your marine insurance ends
b. Access to goods not stored in the port: When your goods are in storage that is not within the port, you are not permitted to communicate directly with the warehouse agent or to have access to your goods, except with specific prior arrangement with Kef and the agent as to the time, date, and purpose of the access. The agent must guarantee a) that you will not have access to your goods, unless accompanied by the agent. and b) that any/all additions, inspections, or removals will be recorded and signed for by you and the agent. Otherwise, your marine insurance coverage ends and cannot be renewed without a full inspection and re-inventory of all the goods in the shipment.
c. Location of warehouses, whether within or without the port: Stored goods, as goods in transit, may well be moved between warehouses without notice.
18. Signing the release: If the container seal is broken or any box or crate is open when you first see it, or if there is any other sign of damage, record it on the delivery receipt. If the trucker does not have a receipt, create one and keep a copy. Be as detailed as possible. Check the pieces arriving against the packing list or cube sheet and record the results of your check on the delivery receipt. You MUST make a count of items as they come off the truck--noting shortages. Otherwise it will not be possible to claim missing items; use the bingo sheet, whenever possible.
19. Claims process: If goods are damaged or missing, photograph the evidence – packing materials and broken items/glass. In the case of claims above $10,000, save evidence until the surveyor comes. You have 45 days to register a claim and another 90 days to submit all supporting documents. To begin the claims process, notify Kef and the insurance provider online. There is no survey for damages under $10,000; repair/replacement estimates are sufficient. If likely damage exceeds $10,000, the insurance company will hire a surveyor.
20. Goods are uninsured: If they are not on your list (unless you insure lump sum), or you do not pay for insurance.
21. Liability: Kef has no liability for loss or damage of any kind and any claims by your insurance company, yourself, or any other agent must be directed to Kef agents only (i.e. warehouses, steamships, forwarders,truckers) and under no circumstances to Kef itself.
22. Arranging your own delivery: Your marine insurance will end when your truckers take possession of the goods, unless the truck and movers are insured for at least as much as your marine insurance policy. Note that if their deductible is higher than yours, you may be responsible for the difference. Your truckers must issue and you sign a delivery receipt listing the number of packages received and any damages or missing goods. You MUST make a count of items as they come off the truck--noting shortages. Otherwise it will not be possible to claim missing items; use the bingo sheet, whenever possible.
23. Underinsuring: If you insure for values below replacement value at destination, claims will be proportionally underpaid, either based on the percentage of under-valuing of the total shipment or on the under-valuing of the items for which claims were filed--the greater of the two.
|Deductible, the amount not paid by the insurance company if there is a claim.|
Price of ALL-RISK insurance with different deductibles. Note: If you decline all-risk, you will be insured for Total Loss.
Total loss pays for total loss of the entire shipment with no cover for damage or partial loss.
|1.5% of value based on $8 per lb. If you decline all risk marine insurance via Kef, you will be billed for this.|
Minimum premium for all/any marine insurance
Export Shipments --Marine Insurance for shipments from Israel
Additional Fees. “List” refers to valued inventory list or a list of high value items.
|Storage insurance in a self-storage warehouse with access permitted. Fire and Burglary only.|
$17 per $1000/month
|Marine Insurance extension for storage past 60 days in approved origin or destination warehouse and only where access and changes are closely monitored and recorded. Access is only by specific permission from Kef, advanced noticed to Kef and the agents of the time, date, and purpose of the access and with appropriate payment.|
$3.00 per $1000/month
$75 + 3rd part costs for access to goods
|Final lists or corrections received by Kef after pickup, receipt of goods delivered directly to warehouse, or not in Excel. These are beyond the times when we are permitted to receive lists, so we cannot guarantee we will be able to process them.|
$75 – after pickup, up to two weeks
$200 – more than two weeks after pickup.
|Creating insurance list with or for customer, including web searches, if necessary.|
$75/hour, $75 minimum
|To insure all declared sets as sets.|
additional premium of .35% on the entire shipment
|Cancelling an insurance list and/or endorsement after it has been confirmed by customer|
25% of premium
**Special notes for insurance with valued inventory list.
24. Personal papers: Can be valued by the box. Insurance will cover the entire box if it gets lost or the boat sinks.
25. Boxes you pack yourself--listed by the shipper as PBO (packed by owner) are covered for loss and theft only, only up to $300/box, and only if you submit a valued list of contents before pickup.
26. Insuring fewer than all similar items: Insure all or list specifics, to avoid the temptation to identify the damaged one as the insured one.
27. Items in a group: Unless you note otherwise, these are understood to be of equal value. A dining room set of 7 pieces insured for $700 means each piece is worth $100, unless you tell us, for example, that the table is worth $400 and each of 6 chairs $50.
Recommended multiples from USA to Israel replacement value.
|small appliances + microwave|
|computers and peripherals|
|art objects, collections, collectibles|
|sports equipment: bikes, etc|
|books and paper items|
|furniture: indoor, outdoor, office|
|kitchen items: dishes, flatware, china, miscellaneous|
|carpets and rugs|
|major US appliances|
Final authority with marine insurance rests with the policy and the endorsement.
*All risk insurance is only available for shipments where professionals pack, load, and make a packing list.